Running To Save Lives - Dayo Olomu

In this Olympics’ year, as at other times, any athlete lining up on the track or the road has only one aim in mind, and that is to stand on ...

In this Olympics’ year, as at other times, any athlete lining up on the track or the road has only one aim in mind, and that is to stand on the podium with a medal dangling around their neck. For those who aren’t career athletes, running means keeping your body in shape.

"Dayo Olomu founder of dayoolomu.com and aleading UK-based motivational coach cum personal development trainer doesn’t fit into any of the above mould, yet this author of best selling book “4 Indispensable Strategies for Success” is gearing up for the 2008 Flora London Marathon. In this interview with Nkechi Obi, he revealed why he is running the forthcoming Flora London Marathon in April

Who are you running the 2008 Flora London Marathon for?
I am running the 2008 Flora London Marathon to create awareness and raise funds for Hearts of Gold Children's Hospices based in Lagos, Nigeria of which I am the UK Ambassador To get a place I had to go through the ballot and I was among the 10,000 lucky people who were successful at the recent ballot drawn by London Marathon. I am delighted to be the first Nigerian in the UK to run the London Marathon for a Nigerian based charity.

Can you tell us what Hearts of Gold Children’s Hospice is all about?
Hearts of Gold Children’s Hospice is the first children's hospice and respite care facility in Nigeria. The house opened it doors in October 2003 in response to a steadily increasing number of abandoned and orphaned sick children suffering from a vast range of illnesses.

These illnesses have the potential to end their lives in a matter of days, weeks, months or sometimes years. When a diagnosis is given which offers no hope or when medical treatment have been tried, but a cure is not achieved, in many cases there is no treatment available. For each of theses children with a terminal of like limiting illnesses, the hospice offers comfortable, caring and loving environment as there may well be all too few tomorrow. Hearts of Gold provides respite support, palliative care (comfort and pain management) and end-of-life care for children with life-threatening and terminating illnesses. I have known the founder of the hospice for years and I strongly believe in what she is doing.

Have you always been athletics and did you take part in athletics in your primary and secondary school days?
You will never believe it but I never took part in athletics in my primary and school days. In fact I have never taken part in any athletics until 25 June 2004 when I participated in the Leukaemia Research' 10K run with my wife, Sade Olomu
When I decided to run the Flora London Marathon last year, I was told that I can never complete it. When no one believed in me, I believed in myself and achieved more what the doubters thought was impossible by completing the London Marathon with a smile on my face. I have found that, when people believe they can accomplish something, no one is able to convince them otherwise. I have a faith in myself, a self believe that was grounded deeply in my soul.

In terms of sponsorship and support, how is that going?
That is going on very well. Amongst those who have pledge support are: The Speaker of House of Representative, Rt Hon Dimeji Bankole, Hon Agum Igo, the chairman of the House of Rep on Gas, Hon Abike Dabiri and Hon Hadi Sirika

Others are: Dr Alistar Soyode CEO Ben TV, Adebayo Jones (who has promised to cloth me for the London Marathon), Michael Makinde of Passion TV, Space Clottey CEO of Voice of African Radio, Biodun Olusesan CEO of Radiant Glow Cosmetics, Olu Ogunnowo Hon.Bayowa Foresythe, Alexander Amosu, Tunde Iyowu of Leadership Coalition, Pastor Wale Adebajo & Phillip Dada of Sound Image.

What motivated you to start this initiative?
Taking on this initiative is my little way of adding value and contributing to make this country a better place than they way I met it. When I get to the end of my life, I want to know that know that my live counted for something, that long after I have left this world, somehow my impact lived on. I want this to be part of my legacy.


Dayo, you are the UK Ambassador of Heart of Gold, what does it involved?

My role basically is to create awareness for the charity in UK and one thing that gladdens my heart recently was that all the money realised at last year’s Stars on the Runway which I participated in was donated to Heart of Gold charity on 23 January 2008.

How long does it take to prepare for d London marathon?
To complete the marathon you need between 2 to 3 months

You did similar thing last year, please talk about it.
I ran the marathon last year to create awareness and raise money for Leukaemia Research, the only national charity devoted exclusively to improving treatments, finding cures and learning how to prevent leukaemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma and other lymphomas, myeloma and the related blood disorders, diagnosed in 24,500 people in the UK every year.

For me, everything started when I attended an award ceremony in 2004 and the lady who won the Nigerian of the Year couldn’t come because she was in the hospital suffering from Leukaemia. Surprisingly we both had the same birthday and I said I would love to meet her. This was not to be, sadly she died of leukaemia in December 2005. Her name was Gloria Ademokun, a Royal Navy lieutenant

Gloria's illness was a major shock and prompted all of her friends and family to campaign for greater awareness of leukaemia. Taking on this run is my way of doing my bit to ensure great people like Gloria do not lose their fight against the terrible blood cancer in the future. I dedicated the run to Gloria Ademokun because if she were to be alive she would have been 40 years old last year.

How much did u raise last year and what figure a u looking at this april?
It’s not really about how much in terms of monetary terms, but actually about how much awareness I’m able to create. You have to realise that Leukaemia is very rampant among the black the black community especially Africans. So this year as we, it is also not entirely about raising money alone but to also ensure that an average Nigerian in the UK is made aware of Heart of Gold Hospice with a view to supporting them financially if not now but in a not too distant future.

When and when do you practice?
I practise every Wednesday evening at the park in Clapham Common and I have my long practice by weekend on the London roads. For example I have just finishing running 8.2 mile (13.2km) from East Croydon to Vauxhall Station as part of my preparation. Next weekend I hope to increase it to 20 miles by running from Croydon to Brixton then to Elephant & Castle, an onward to Camberwell Green. From there, I’ll run to Herne Hill, to Tulse Hill to West Norwood to Crystal Palace and finally to Croydon.

Is running your hobby?
Interestingly, it is. I also enjoy; Mountain Climbing, Fire Walking, Board-breaking, Bar-bending and other challenging stuffs that have an element of fear in it. To use the words of Susan Jeffers, I like to “feel the fear and do it anyway”.

I learnt that you are about to release your first inspiration audio CD. Can you tell us about it briefly?
Yes, you are right I will be releasing my first powerful inspirational audio CD called “You Got the Power” on AdonaiBooks.com by 29 February 2008. This powerful CD will inspire and motivate you to believe in yourself and to take the action that will enable you to become who you desire to be. 25% of the proceeds from the sales of this CD will be donated to Heart of Gold Children Hospices. It will be distributed by adonaibook.com

You are the UK Ambassador of Heart of Gold, vice chairman of the advisory board Voice of Africa Radio, host & producer of Arize! with Dayo Olomu talk show on Passion TV, a motivational coach and a personal development trainer, a husband and father, how do you juggle this role and strike a balance?
I owe it to the good Lord. I've always believed that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Also I have a good wife at home who not only believes in me but supports me. I place a lot of time on high value activities. I am an apostle of good time management. Time management is life management. In this modern time, if you cannot properly manage your time there is no way you can properly manage your life.

Okay, talk more about your life outside running
I am involved in the followings:
• Coaching – personal, peak performance, executive and business coaching
by telephone, face to face and email.
• Design and lead workshops and seminars - in leadership, sales, personal & professional development, management, relationship & marriage, public speaking, goal setting & achieving, communications skills, motivation and inspiration
• Facilitation – expert in facilitating groups of all sizes from team meetings to chairing large conferences
• Consultancy – public relations, image, corporate branding, media and human resources
• Public Speaking & Comminications – speaking skills, presentation training and impromptu speaking.
• Master of Ceremonies – for seminars, workshops, conferences, product launches, press conferences, weddings.

Can you give us one of your success tips?
To achieve great success, you must not only dream and desire it, but also act; not only plan, but also believe that you have what it takes to be successful; and when setbacks occur, do not give up but rather see them as opportunities for growth because success thrives on adversity

What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about giving HOPE which is Helping Ordinary People do Extra-ordinary things.

What would you love to do one day?
I would love to go to the space as a tourist to raise money and create awareness for my charity.

How will you like to be remembered?
When I get to the end of my life, I want to know that know that my live counted for something, that long after I have left this world, somehow my impact lived on. I want to know that I have done all that I can to make this world a better place. I want to know that I gave everything my best shot. I want it to be on record that I maximized my potential and stretch myself to the limit. Most importantly I want to know that I serve God and that I am a good husband and father, devoted to improving the lives of others.

You’ve actually got a few feathers on your cap, Dayo, do you mind naming some?
Not a problem. My awards & achievements include the following:
• Named as One of the Five Most Popular Black Speakers in the UK - June 2007
• Led the Croydon Communicators Toastmaster Club as Charter President to win the Distinguished Club Award from Toastmasters International – July 2006
• Advance Toastmaster Bronze & Competent Leader Awards from Toastmasters International – June 2006
• Exemplary Nigerian Award for hardwork and integrity in 2004
• Listed in the first edition of UK’s Who’s Who of Black Achievers (published in 1999/2000 by Ethnic Minority Media)

For more info about The Hearts of Gold Children’s Hospices , visit www.hoghospice.org


Culled from AfricanVoice |Friday, 07 March 2008 – Thursday, 13 March 2008

COMMENTS

Name

Charity,4,Ebook,2,Entertainment,11,Events,16,Investment,4,Motivation,29,News,3,Outstanding Personality of the Week,7,People,12,Politics,2,Public Speaking,10,
ltr
item
Dayo Olomu: Running To Save Lives - Dayo Olomu
Running To Save Lives - Dayo Olomu
Dayo Olomu
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/2008/03/running-to-save-lives-dayo-olomu.html
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/2008/03/running-to-save-lives-dayo-olomu.html
true
1575777256546130344
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy