How I Manage My Own Time

One question a lot of people ask me is: “how do I manage my own personal time and get so much done in the same 24 hours everyone else have? ...

One question a lot of people ask me is: “how do I manage my own personal time and get so much done in the same 24 hours everyone else have? They wonder how I have time for my family, being a motivational speaker, a peak performance/lifestyle business coach, an author, personal development trainer, infopreneur, brand/PR strategist, publisher, a TV talk show host, UK Ambassador, Heart of Gold Children’s Hospices & Orphanage and Vice Chairman, Advisory Board of Voice of African Radio

One day, I was in the gym with my very good friend, Joe De Souza, a highly
skilled Speaker who has impacted me immensely, when he asked me the same
question. He certainly got me thinking that I thought and deemed it appropriate to write about my personal time management. I must begin by saying that I owe it to the good Lord. I've always believed that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Also I have a good wife at home who not only believes in me but supports me.

I place a lot of time on high value activities; things that advance my overall purpose in life, things I have always wanted to do, things I am most passionate about and things that will yield positive and maximum result. I am an apostle of good time management. Time management is life management. In this modern time, if you cannot properly manage your time there is no way you can properly manage your life.

My time is built around my goals, values, purpose, passion, mission and vision which I established in 2000 when I went on pilgrimage to Jerusalem to celebrate my 35th birthday. My goals are eight folds: Spiritual & Values; Family & Friends; Health & Fitness; Career & Business; Financial & Wealth; Health & Fitness; Self-development; Personal Needs & Fun Time; Community & Humanity

My purpose and passion is to help ordinary people and businesses do extra ordinary things and become who they desire to be while my mission is to inspire and empower people and organisations to higher levels of achievement and peak performance. My vision is to have one of my products in 100 countries by 2012 and to build a global brand dedicated to the advancement of the human race which by 2020 will reach 1 billion people. Knowing my purpose, passion, mission and vision in life helps me prioritise my time. The desire to excel and reach my full potential propels me.

Having decided on my goals, I then deal with the other tasks ahead of me in order of priority. The priority I place on any task is determined by how it measures up with my goals. The more a task helps in achieving my goals, the more important it is to me.

I go to bed at midnight and wake up at about 6.00. The first thing I do when I wake up is to use the first hour (which I call the ‘golden hour’) to prepare myself for the day. I prepare myself spiritually by praying; physically by exercising, and mentally by reading something that will stimulate me; thereafter I leave for the office. I spend majority of my time during the day training and attending meetings. If my wife is busy I also do school runs either in the mornings or evenings. I make provisions for this and also to attend over 90% of my children’s parents evening. The first one hour after arriving home is family time. I switch off my mobile phone to give my wife and children undivided attention.

I train four times a week, and write at least two articles a week. Every Saturday morning I present my television programme Arize! With Dayo Olomu (broadcast live every Saturday morning on Passion TV, Sky 169). Though the programme starts at 10am I am always at the studio by 8am. Afterward I go for my speaking engagement. Thereafter I return home to my family.

After church on Sunday, we have our traditional lunch of jolof rice with salad and later in the evening I watch events on Passion TV & Ben TV & Nigerian movies on Nollywood Movies with my wife and children.

Prioritisation is critical to how I spend my personal time. I do the first thing first. I do not watch television except news and I am one of the rare birds who are not addicted to sports. I spend a great deal of time reading books (I read at least two books a month), magazines, articles, periodicals and trade journals that are of interest to me and from which I collect the information for my research files. Whenever I am out, I ensure I take reading materials with me to fill my time during any waiting period. When I am travelling I spend flying times and airport waiting times revising and updating written materials on my pocket PC. I also use a Blackberry. With this ‘toy’ I can check my emails and surf the Internet while I’m on the road.

The passion I have for what I do invariably determines how much work I accomplish.
I make every attempt to respond to my calls and correspondences within 24 hours; however, it sometimes takes a little longer, especially when I am working on a project that needs my undivided attention. Whenever I have a board meeting I create time to prepare for it especially if I have a presentation to do. I attend at least one board meeting every week. Before I retire to bed I reflect on the day and then carefully plan for the following day.

It has been said that Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance; therefore it is crucial to plan your activities thoroughly. Remember, those who fail to plan, plan to fail.



P.S: Join Dayo Olomu LIVE at a location closer to you:

Sat 31 August @ Thistle Charing Cross.Goals - Achieving the Impossible

Tuesday 9 September @ Best Western Cumberland Hotel, Harrow HA1 2EF. Time 7pm. You Got The Power Seminar

Wed 1 Oct 2008 @ Muson Centre, Lagos – How To Get The Man of Your Dream (TBC)

Friday 10 October @ Best Western Cumberland Hotel, Harrow HA1 2EF. Time 7pm. ‘Getting “IT” Back Seminar’ - Moving From Black History Into Black Future. For more details check out: http://www.gettingitback.co.uk/

Saturday 18 October @ Newham Black History Month

Sat 25 October @ Thistle Charing Cross - Goals - Achieving the Impossible

Saturday 1 November 2008 @ Croydon Town Hall, Katherine Street, Croydon CR9 1XT. Start Time: 12:30 – 3:30pm. How to Achieve Your Personal & Professional Goals Master class

Saturday 22nd of November 2008 @ at the Galleon Suite” Royal National Hotel, Russell Square, Central London UK. – Leadership Event

P.P.S:
2008 is a leap year. Leap into greatness with “You Got The Power” the new sensational, powerful and inspirational audio CD of Dayo Olomu. This powerful CD will inspire and motivate you to believe in yourself and take the action that will enable you to become who you desire to be because “You Got The Power”. This is definitely one not to be missed. To get copies for yourself and your team, contact Adonai books via email, info@adonaibooks.com or 07956 587032.

COMMENTS

BLOGGER: 1
Loading...
Name

Charity,4,Ebook,2,Entertainment,11,Events,16,Investment,4,Motivation,29,News,3,Outstanding Personality of the Week,7,People,12,Politics,2,Public Speaking,10,
ltr
item
Dayo Olomu: How I Manage My Own Time
How I Manage My Own Time
Dayo Olomu
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-i-manage-my-own-time.html
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-i-manage-my-own-time.html
true
1575777256546130344
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy