Style is who you are and what you wear

43-year-old Dayo Olomu, one of UK's leading motivational coaches and talk-show hosts who was recently named as one of the Most Good-L...

43-year-old Dayo Olomu, one of UK's leading motivational coaches and talk-show hosts who was recently named as one of the Most Good-Looking Nigerian Men in London, shares his style in an online interview with GBENGA ADERANTI

Briefly describe your wardrobe.

My wardrobe consists of formal/business wear, smart casual wear and traditional wear.

Could you give an overview of what style is to you?

A style is a physical or visual expression of who you are and what you wear.

What informs what you wear?

The event I am attending and the role I am playing inform what I wear. The occasion might be formal or informal. For informal occasion when I want to look smart and casual, I wear a jacket, blazer or suit with a York collar shirt, the wider cutaway collar with single cuff; and for formal and business occasions, I wear Windsor collar shirt , original Duke of Windsor full cutaway collar with double cuff.

How would you define your fashion sense?

I like to dress smartly, neatly, decently and appropriately. I do wear accessories to enhance my style.

Some people cannot do without some fashion accessories. In your own case, what are those accessories you cannot do without?

I value my cufflinks, pocket handkerchiefs, belts and ties. For native attire, it is my cap.

You live in Britain, one expects you to be in English attire every time. Do you miss your native attire?

I do not miss it because I still wear my native attire to functions. I wear my full agbada to my formal traditional outings and buba and sokoto to the less formal ones.

Who are the people whose style you admire?

I admire Kunle Bakare, the Publisher of National Encomium. I have known him for more than 10 years. He is a man of style and panache

Some people have argued that the biological make up of Africans is quite different from the Europeans, therefore shirts designed by Europeans are not appropriate for Africans. Do you believe this?

No I do not believe that. I wear Hawes & Curtis shirts and they are fitting.

Where do you shop for your clothes?

I buy my chino trousers anytime I am in the US, while I buy my suits whenever I am in Italy. For my shirts, I shop at Hawes & Curtis. I buy my perfumes at Selfridges in Central London. For my pocket handkerchief I shop at Tie Rack. I also shop at Allders of Croydon.

London is a place where you have a crossbreed of cultures. How handy is it to get Nigerian designers?

We have many Nigerian designers in London who are good. I wear a lot of Kitan Fashion stuff and that of Yinka Raymond.

Considering the nature of your job, were you at any point tempted to wear agbada to any of the outings?

I do wear them a lot in London. I feel comfortable in them. Anytime I wear them to any outing, I always stand out. My culture means a lot to me. Culture is a natural asset, equivalent of oil and diamond.

Your suspender used to be your identity, do you still use this?

Not much these days. After my 40th birthday in 2005, I changed my looks to more smart and casual. If it is not very important, you will not see me in suit with the braces, tie and pocket handkerchief.

Suits are must for all men, how many do you have?

I do not like keeping lots of suits. After using them for a year or two, I give them out and buy new ones. Same with my shirts, ties and shoes.

What are those things you would not be caught wearing?

I cannot think of any.

How often do you change your wardrobe?

Every two years.

What is the highest amount of money you have spent on clothes?

I can't remember how much, but I know it was my wedding suit

Some people cannot do without perfume. Does this apply to you?

Yes. From my childhood, I have been using perfumes and I value them. At any point in time, I always have more than three perfumes, excluding my aftershave. I have different perfumes for different occasions.

Who is your best designer in the UK & Nigeria?

My best designer in the UK is Kitan Fashions. He has been my designer since I relocated to the UK. His designs are simple and nice while Mudi Clothings is my best designer in Nigeria. His designs are classy, unique and elegant.

What's your appetite like, when one talks of wristwatches?


I love good wrist watches preferably in good leather or silver. Most of my wristwatches are presents from my wife, goddess Sade Olomu.

Daily Star
posted on Saturday 12 July 2008
http://www.newsstarng.com/Gents%20Style/120720081.php

COMMENTS

Name

Charity,4,Ebook,2,Entertainment,11,Events,16,Investment,4,Motivation,29,News,3,Outstanding Personality of the Week,7,People,12,Politics,2,Public Speaking,10,
ltr
item
Dayo Olomu: Style is who you are and what you wear
Style is who you are and what you wear
Dayo Olomu
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/2008/07/style-is-who-you-are-and-what-you-wear.html
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/
http://dayoolomu.blogspot.com/2008/07/style-is-who-you-are-and-what-you-wear.html
true
1575777256546130344
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy